Just Right Reader creates engaging decodables that promote a systematic way of teaching phonics to young readers and brings teachers success and joy in their teaching. Frequently, districts ask if ESSER funding can be used to purchase our decodables. The answer is YES! Let’s walk you through the details.
What is ESSER funding?
In March of 2020, the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) Fund was created as part of the CARES act. Over the course of a year, other ESSER acts were passed and allocated funds up to 177.3 billion dollars to support schools impacted by COVID-19. This funding can be used through September 30, 2023.
The good news is that ESSER money can be used in a variety of ways with few restrictions on how much can be used for certain school expenses. Below is the breakdown of the ESSER funding from the US Department of Education fact sheet:
“The ARP ESSER Fund includes three State-level reservations for activities and interventions that respond to students’ academic, social, and emotional needs and address the disproportionate impact of COVID-19 on underrepresented student subgroups, including each major racial and ethnic group, children from low-income families, children with disabilities, English learners, gender, migrant students, students experiencing homelessness, and children and youth in foster care:
- 5 percent of the total ARP ESSER allocation for the implementation of evidence-based interventions aimed specifically at addressing learning loss, such as summer learning or summer enrichment, extended day, comprehensive afterschool programs, or extended school year programs.
- 1 percent of the total ARP ESSER allocation for evidence-based summer enrichment programs.
- 1 percent of the total ARP ESSER allocation for evidence-based comprehensive afterschool programs.
A State may use up to ½ of 1 percent of its total ARP ESSER allocation for administrative costs and emergency needs as determined by the State to address issues related to COVID-19” (https://oese.ed.gov/files/2021/03/FINAL_ARP-ESSER-FACT-SHEET.pdf)
Now for the exciting news: the leftover money can be spent on a variety of needs including your Just Right Reader decodables!
How to use ESSER funding for your Just Right Reader Decodables
Just Right Reader decodables can fall under three main categories for ESSER funding:
- Planning for or implementing activities during long-term closures. This could look like sending take-home boxes as implementation for school closures.
- Planning and implementing activities related to summer learning and supplemental after-school programs. Again using our take-home boxes and decodables during summer school and afterschool programs.
- Decodable texts are used to address learning loss. ESSER funding directly supports those students especially in lower elementary where students missed out on years of quality phonics instruction.
We are thrilled Just Right Reader decodables can be funded using ESSER money! Now you can order your books with peace of mind and get your kids reading! Please let us know if you have any questions—we love to support schools. Reach out to email@example.com for more information.